Dr. Christoph Trattner is working as an Associate Professor (permanent position) at the University of Bergen in the Information Science & Media Studies Department. Previously to that he was an Asst. Prof. at MODUL University Vienna in the New Media Technology Department and a manager at the Know-Center, Austria's research competence for data driven business and Big Data analytics where he founded and led the Social Computing department. He holds a PhD (with distinction), an MSc (with distinction) and a BSc in Computer Science and Telematics from Graz University of Technology (Austria). He is a former FFG, Marshall Plan and ERCIM fellow and has been working at Graz University of Technology from 2009-2012 (supervised by Prof. Dr. Denis Helic & Prof. Dr. Hermann Maurer), the University of Pittsburgh from 2011-2012 (hosted by Prof. Dr. Peter Brusilovsky), the Norwegian University of Science and Technology from 2014-2015 (hosted by Prof. Dr. Kjetil Norvag), and has been visiting Yahoo! Labs Barcelona in 2014 and CWI Amsterdam in 2015 (hosted by Prof. Dr. Arjen De Vries). Christoph's research interests include Information Science, Data Science, User Modeling and Recommender Systems. He was involved, either as a project or WP leader, in various national and international EU-funded research projects that dealt with social technologies and recommender systems. Currently, he is leading an international research effort that tries to understand, predict and change online food preferences to tackle health-related food issues such as diabetes or obesity. Since 2010, he published two books and over 80 scientific articles in top venues and journals, e.g., JASIST, UMUAI, TiiS, ComCom, EPJ Data Science, WWW, ICWSM, ACM SIGIR, ACM CIKM, ACM CSCW, ACM RecSys, ACM IUI, ACM HT and ACM UMAP. He is also the winner of several Best Paper/Poster Awards and Nominations, including e.g. the Best Paper Award Honorable Mention at WWW'17. He regularly acts as a PC member on several top-tier - CORE A* ranked - conferences and co-organizes or co-chaires a number of workshops and conferences. Recent examples include ACM IUI’19, ACM UMAP’19 and ACM RecSys’19. He has also taught a series of courses at all levels (BSc, MSc, MBA, PhD), e.g., Information Systems, Recommender Systems or Web Science at the University of Bergen, Graz University of Technology and MODUL University Vienna and has managed and supervised a number of Post-Docs, PhD fellows, Master and Bachelor students.
- [12/2018] Our workshop on Modeling Social Media: Mining, Modeling and Learning from Social Media has been accepted at The Web Conference. Check out the call for papers! !
- [11/2018] Our paper "Towards a Big Data Platform for News Angles" with Ocana, M., Opdahl, A., Nyre, L., Tessem, B. and Veres, C. has been accepted for publication in the 4th Norwegian Big Data Symposium (NOBIDS) held at NTNU.
- [11/2018] Our paper "The Roadmap to User-Controllable Social Exploratory Search" with di Sciascio, C., Brusilovsky, P. and Veas, E. has been accepted for publication in ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems.
- [10/2018] Our paper "Investigating and Predicting Online Food Recipe Upload Behavior" with Kusmierczyk, T. and Norvag, K. has been accepted for publication in Information Processing and Management [IF:3.444]. PDF
- [10/2018] Attended RecSys'18 in Vancouver (it was fantastic) and run among other things the Health Recommender Systems Workshop. The proceedings are now online and can be downloaded from CEUR-WS !
- [08/2018] Our paper "Healthy Menus Recommendation: Optimizing the Use of the Pantry" with Emanuel, J., Oliveira, R., Marinho, L. and Trattner, C. has been accepted at the HealthRecSys workshop co-located with ACM RecSys'18.
- [08/2018] Our paper "Towards Explanations for Visual Recommender Systems of Artistic Images" with Dominguez, V., Messina, P., Trattner, C. and Parra, D. has been accepted at the INTRS workshop co-located with ACM RecSys'18.
- [08/2018] Together with Lidija Lalicic from MODUL University Vienna we have won the Austrian Chamber of Commerce (WKO) Prize to conduct research in the context of online food marketing in Facebook. Stay tunded for more updates!
- [07/2018] Our paper "Content-based artwork recommendation: integrating painting metadata with neural and manually-engineered visual features" with Messina, P., Dominguez, V., Parra, D. and Soto, A. has been published in Springer's User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal. PDF
- [07/2018] Our paper "Predicting Trading Interactions in an Online Marketplace through Location-Based and Online Social Networks" with Eberhard, L. and Atzmueller, M. has been published in Springer's Information Retrieval Journal. PDF
- [07/2018] Our paper "On the Predictability of the Popularity of Online Recipes" with Moesslang, D. and Elsweiler, D. has been published in EPJ Data Science. PDF
[06/2018] Our grant proposal Investigating the impact of Artificial Intelligence on the Journalism's Social Contract - Issues of Machine Ethics in Modern Journalism with Marija Slavkovik as PI and Truls Pedersen, Helle Sjøvaag, Sjur Dyrkolbotn and me as co-applicants got accepted by the Norwegian Research council.
- [05/2018] Will be teaching a MSc course on recommender systems this fall at the University of Bergen :) Stay tuned for the teaching material!
- [04/2018] Full paper (16% quota) accepted at ICWSM'18! Title: "The Impact of Recipe Features, Social Cues and Demographics on Estimating the Healthiness of Online Recipes". PDF
- [03/2018] Was invited by the CS department at UiB to the Winter School on Algorithms. Gave an invited lecture on "Recommender Systems" and the research we do on food recommender systems. The venue was Geilo :) Awesome place to do some skiing!
- [03/2018] New book chapter on "Evaluating Group Recommender Systems" in the new Springer book on "Group Recommender Systems: An introduction" is now available. PDF
- [02/2018] There are some exciting news to share :) As of Feb. 2018 I will be joining the department of Information Science studies at the University of Bergen as
Associate Professor in Data Science (permanent position).
- [02/2018] Our work "Investigating the utility of the weather context for point of interest recommendations" was accepted for publication in the Springer journal Information Technology & Tourism. PDF
- [02/2018] Wrote a book chapter together with A. Said, L. Boratto, L. and A. Felfernig on "Evaluating Group Recommender Systems" for a new RecSys book. The book will be published soon. Title: "Group Recommender Systems: An Introduction". PDF
- [02/2018] Wrote a book chapter on "Food Recommender Systems" lately together with my friend David Elsweiler from UR. The book is a new recommender systems handbook with chapters written by many important people in the RecSys community and shall be named "Collaborative Recommendations: Algorithms, Practical Challenges and Applications".
Publication date shall be around 2018. You can download a draft from arXiv. Feedback welcome! PDF
- [10/2017] Attended RecSys'17 in Como (it was awesome) and run among other things the Health Recommender Systems Workshop. The proceedings are now online and can be downloaded
from CEUR-WS. Enjoy :)
Some recent news articles about our food research featured in the Latin American newspapers latercera.com,
Prof. Parra one of our co-authors of this work also gave an radio interview in Spanish on radio DIGITAL FM on this latest research.
Paper accepted in the Deep Learning Recommender Systems workshop held at ACM RecSys'17. Title: "Comparing Neural and Attractiveness-based Visual Features for Artwork Recommendation".
Paper accepted in the TempRS workshop held at ACM RecSys'17. Title: "TCNSVD: A Temporal and Community-Aware Recommender Approach".
On the list of the Annual Best of Computing in ACM Computing Reviews for our work on "VizRec: recommending personalized visualizations" published in ACM TiiS. Find the list here.
Paper accepted in PlosOne. Title: "Monitoring obesity prevalence in the United States through bookmarking activities in online food portals".
In July I will be off to Haifa (Israel) and to Santiago de Chile (Chile) to give two invited talks "Towards Health-aware Food Recommender Systems".
I am really looking forward to these two events organized by Prof. Tsvi Kuflik (The University of Haifa) and my friend Prof. Denis Parra (PUC, Chile).
The tentative program of the workshop in Haifa named "ISF international workshop on User Modeling and Recommender Systems", can be found here.
Paper accepted at ACM UMAP 2017. Title: "On the Relations Between Cooking Interests, Hobbies and Nutritional Values of Online Recipes: Implications for Health-Aware Recipe Recommender Systems".
Some recent news articles about our food research featured in the Austrian newspapers Kurier and derStandard and
in the German newspaper Mittelbayrische and the German radio Bayern 3.
Please consider submitting to our 23rd International Workshop on Personalized Human-Computer Interaction and Recommender Systems co-located with Mensch & Computer 2017 in Regensburg.
Please consider submitting to our International Workshop on Social Network Analysis and Digital Humanities co-located with i-Know in October 2017 in my hometown Graz.
Full Paper (22% quota) accepted at ACM SIGIR 2017. Title: "Exploiting Food Choice Biases for Healthier Recipe Recommendation".
Just received the Best Paper Award Honorable Mention at WWW'17. Reference: Investigating the Healthiness of Internet-Sourced Recipes: Implications for Meal Planning and Recommender Systems. Trattner, C. and Elsweiler, D. In Proceedings of the World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 2017.
Paper accepted at ACM Digital Health 2017. Title: "Towards Health (Aware) Recommender Systems".
Paper accepted at ACM Hypertext 2017. Title: "Tags, Titles or Q&As? Choosing Content Descriptors for Visual Recommender Systems".
Full paper (14% quota) accepted at ICWSM'17! Title: "How Editorial, Temporal and Social Biases Affect Online Food Popularity and Appreciation".
Our workshop proposal on "Health Recommender Systems" got accepted at this year's ACM RecSys conference held in Como, Italy.
Paper "Estimating the Healthiness of Internet Recipes: A cross sectional study" accepted in Frontiers in Public Health.
Latest 10 Publications
- Investigating and Predicting Online Food Recipe Upload Behavior. Trattner, C., Kusmierczyk, T., Norvag, K. Information Processing and Management. 2018.
- Content-based artwork recommendation: integrating painting metadata with neural and manually-engineered visual features. Messina, P., Dominguez, V., Parra, D., Trattner, C. and Soto, A. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal. 2018. PDF
- Predicting Trading Interactions in an Online Marketplace through Location-Based and Online Social Networks. Eberhard, L., Trattner, C. and Atzmueller, M. Information Retrieval Journal, 2018. PDF
- On the Predictability of the Popularity of Online Recipes. Trattner, C., Moesslang, D. and Elsweiler, D. EPJ Data Science, 2018. PDF
- The Impact of Recipe Features, Social Cues and Demographics on Estimating the Healthiness of Online Recipes. Rocicki, M.*, Trattner, C.* and Herder, E. (* equal contribution). In Proceedings of the 12th International AAAI conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM), 2018. PDF
- Food Recommender Systems: Important Contributions, Challenges and Future Research Directions. Trattner, C. and Elsweiler, D. Collaborative Recommendations: Algorithms, Practical Challenges and Applications, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., 2018. PDF
- Evaluating Group Recommender Systems. Trattner, C., Said, A., Boratto, L. and Felfernig, A. Group Recommender Systems: An Introduction, Springer, 2018. PDF
- Investigating the utility of the weather context for point of interest recommendations. Trattner, C., Oberegger, A., Marinho, L. and Parra, D. Information Technology & Tourism, 2018. PDF
- Monitoring obesity prevalence in the United States through bookmarking activities in online food portals.
Trattner, C., Parra, D. and Elsweiler, D. PLOS ONE 12(6), 2017. PDF
- Investigating the Healthiness of Internet-Sourced Recipes: Implications for Meal Planning and Recommender Systems. Trattner, C. and Elsweiler, D. In Proceedings of the World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 2017. Best Paper Award Honorable Mention PDF