Dr. Christoph Trattner is an Associate Professor (permanent position) at the University of Bergen (UiB) in the Information Science & Media Studies Department. Previously to that he was an Asst. Prof. at MODUL University Vienna in the New Media Technology Department and a manager at the Know-Center, Austria's research competence for data driven business and Big Data analytics where he founded and led the Social Computing department. He holds a PhD (with distinction), an MSc (with distinction) and a BSc in Computer Science and Telematics from Graz University of Technology (Austria). He is a former Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG) fellow, Marshall Plan and European Research Consortium for Informatics and Mathematics (ERICM) fellow and has been working at Graz University of Technology from 2009-2012, the University of Pittsburgh from 2011-2012 (hosted by Prof. Dr. Peter Brusilovsky), the Norwegian University of Science and Technology from 2014-2015 (hosted by Prof. Dr. Kjetil Nørvåg), and has been visiting Yahoo! Labs Barcelona in 2014 and CWI Amsterdam in 2015 two times (hosted by Prof. Dr. Arjen De Vries). Christoph's research interests include Behavioral Data Science and Recommender Systems. Since, 2010 he co-acquired over 22 million euros in funding on European and international level in collaboration with major international industrial partners. Currently, he is leading several international research efforts that try to understand, predict and change user online preferences. He published over 100 scientific articles in top-notch venues, such as NATURE Sustainability, PlosOne, JASIST, EPJ Data Science, UMUAI, WWW, ICWSM or ACM SIGIR. He is the winner of several Best Paper/Poster Awards and Nominations, including, the Best Paper Award Honorable Mention at WWW'17. He regularly acts as a PC member on several top-tier - CORE A* ranked - conferences and co-organizes or co-chairs a number of workshops and conferences. Recent examples include ACM IUI’19, ACM UMAP’19 and ACM RecSys’19. He is PI and founder of the DARS lab, a core member of CEDAS (Center for Data Science) at UiB, a member of the study program board of the Information Science program at UiB, a member of the editorial board of Elsevier's journal on Online Social Networks and Media and has been leading UiB's Center for Innovation (SFI) effort - MediaFutures: Research Centre for Responsible Media Technology & Innovation - worth around 30 million EUR.
- [02/2020] Happy to announce that our IKTPLUSS proposal "RE-AIMED: Readjusted responses by use of AI in medical calls" lead by NORCE has been granted by the Norwegian Science Fund!
- [02/2020] Happy to announce our newly established DARS lab! The lab performs cutting-edge research in methods (e.g., AI methods to predict user behavior) and applications (e.g., intelligent user interfaces) in the context of behavioral data analytics and recommender systems. Get more info here: https://dars.uib.no/
- [01/2020] Work with me as a PhD student! Deadline: 29th February 2020. Here the job post!
- [12/2019] Happy holidays :)
- [11/2019] Have been talking at the 1st International ‘Alan Turing’ Conference on Decision Support and Recommender Systems (DSRS-Turing 2019) held at the The Alan Turing Institute, UK.
- [10/2019] Happy to announce that the MediaFutures SFI application "Research Centre for Responsible Media Technology & Innovation" worth around 30 million EUR and which I lead as PI has been submitted successfully to the Research Council Norway :)
- [10/2019] Have been invited by the Center of Nutrition @ UiB to talk about my research on Computational Data Analytics on the Web for better Food Decision Making. Here the slides! PDF
- [08/2019] Happy to announce that my paper with Dietmar Jannach "Learning to Recommend Similar Items from Human Judgements", has been accepted for publication in UMUAI :) PDF
- [08/2019] Happy to have been invited as the keynote speaker for the Third Workshop on Recommendation in Complex Scenarios co-located with RecSys 2019, Copenhagen. Talk Title: Online food recommendations: A complex problem?
- [08/2019] New paper with David Elsweiler, "An Evaluation of Recommendation Algorithms for Online Recipe Portals". PDF
- [07/2019] Invited paper on online food behavior published in NATURE Sustainability :)
- [07/2019] Have been invited as a speaker to the ACM Summer School on Recommender Systems in Gothenburg, Sweden. Looking very much forward to this great event. PhD & MSc students, sign up as long as there are tickets available :)
- [06/2019] Happy to announce that I have joint the editoral board of the Online Social Networks and Media journal.
- [06/2019] Will be giving a keynote speech at the 1st International ‘Alan Turing’ Conference on Decision Support and Recommender Systems (DSRS-Turing 2019) in November 21-22 held at the The Alan Turing Institute, UK.
- [04/2019] With Alain Said and Hanna Schäfer I am organizing a special issue for the UMUAI journal called "Special Issue on Recommender Systems for Health and Wellbeing". Check out the call!
- [04/2019] Our paper "Predicting Movie Popularity and Ratings with Visual Features" has been accepted at the SMAP workshop co-located with ACM UMAP 2019. PDF
- [03/2019] Our paper "Identifying Cross-Cultural Visual Food Tastes with Online Recipe Platforms" has been at AAAI ICWSM. PDF
- [03/2019] Our paper "Exploring the Power of Visual Features for Cold Start Recommendation of Movies" has been accepted at ACM UMAP! PDF
- [03/2019] The Joint Proceedings of the ACM IUI 2019 Workshops co-edited with Parra, D. and Riche, N. are now online! PDF
- [03/2019] This website is now also available under christophtrattner.com!
- [01/2019] Our paper "Tag-Based Information Access in Image Collections: Insights from Log and Eye-Gaze Analyses" with Lin, Y., Parra, D. and Brusilovsky, P. has been accepted for publication in Knowledge and Information Systems [IF:2.247].
- [12/2018] Our workshop on Modeling Social Media: Mining, Modeling and Learning from Social Media has been accepted at The Web Conference. Check out the call for papers!
- [11/2018] Our paper "Towards a Big Data Platform for News Angles" with Ocana, M., Opdahl, A., Nyre, L., Tessem, B. and Veres, C. has been accepted for publication in the 4th Norwegian Big Data Symposium (NOBIDS) held at NTNU.
- [11/2018] Our paper "The Roadmap to User-Controllable Social Exploratory Search" with di Sciascio, C., Brusilovsky, P. and Veas, E. has been accepted for publication in ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems.
- [10/2018] Our paper "Investigating and Predicting Online Food Recipe Upload Behavior" with Kusmierczyk, T. and Norvag, K. has been accepted for publication in Information Processing and Management [IF:3.444]. PDF
- [10/2018] Attended RecSys'18 in Vancouver (it was fantastic) and run among other things the Health Recommender Systems Workshop. The proceedings are now online and can be downloaded from CEUR-WS !
- [08/2018] Our paper "Healthy Menus Recommendation: Optimizing the Use of the Pantry" with Emanuel, J., Oliveira, R., Marinho, L. and Trattner, C. has been accepted at the HealthRecSys workshop co-located with ACM RecSys'18.
- [08/2018] Our paper "Towards Explanations for Visual Recommender Systems of Artistic Images" with Dominguez, V., Messina, P., Trattner, C. and Parra, D. has been accepted at the INTRS workshop co-located with ACM RecSys'18.
- [08/2018] Together with Lidija Lalicic from MODUL University Vienna we have won the Austrian Chamber of Commerce (WKO) Prize to conduct research in the context of online food marketing in Facebook. Stay tunded for more updates!
- [07/2018] Our paper "Content-based artwork recommendation: integrating painting metadata with neural and manually-engineered visual features" with Messina, P., Dominguez, V., Parra, D. and Soto, A. has been published in Springer's User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal. PDF
- [07/2018] Our paper "Predicting Trading Interactions in an Online Marketplace through Location-Based and Online Social Networks" with Eberhard, L. and Atzmueller, M. has been published in Springer's Information Retrieval Journal. PDF
- [07/2018] Our paper "On the Predictability of the Popularity of Online Recipes" with Moesslang, D. and Elsweiler, D. has been published in EPJ Data Science. PDF
[06/2018] Our grant proposal Investigating the impact of Artificial Intelligence on the Journalism's Social Contract - Issues of Machine Ethics in Modern Journalism with Marija Slavkovik as PI and Truls Pedersen, Helle Sjøvaag, Sjur Dyrkolbotn and me as co-applicants got accepted by the Norwegian Research council.
- [05/2018] Will be teaching a MSc course on recommender systems this fall at the University of Bergen :) Stay tuned for the teaching material!
- [04/2018] Full paper (16% quota) accepted at ICWSM'18! Title: "The Impact of Recipe Features, Social Cues and Demographics on Estimating the Healthiness of Online Recipes". PDF
- [03/2018] Was invited by the CS department at UiB to the Winter School on Algorithms. Gave an invited lecture on "Recommender Systems" and the research we do on food recommender systems. The venue was Geilo :) Awesome place to do some skiing!
- [03/2018] New book chapter on "Evaluating Group Recommender Systems" in the new Springer book on "Group Recommender Systems: An introduction" is now available. PDF
- [02/2018] There are some exciting news to share :) As of Feb. 2018 I will be joining the Department of Information Science and Media Studies at the University of Bergen as
Associate Professor in Data Science (permanent position).
Latest 10 Publications
- Learning to Recommend Similar Items from Human Judgements. Trattner, C. and Jannach, D. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal. 2019. PDF
- What online data say about eating habits. Trattner, C. and Elsweiler, D. NATURE Sustainability, 2019. PDF
- Tag-Based Information Access in Image Collections: Insights from Log and Eye-Gaze Analyses. Lin, Y., Parra, D., Trattner, C. and Brusilovsky, P. Knowledge and Information Systems. 2019. PDF
- The Roadmap to User-Controllable Social Exploratory Search. di Sciascio, C., Brusilovsky, P., Trattner, C. and Veas, E. ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems. 2019. PDF
- Investigating and Predicting Online Food Recipe Upload Behavior. Trattner, C., Kusmierczyk, T., Norvag, K. Information Processing and Management. 2019. PDF
- Content-based artwork recommendation: integrating painting metadata with neural and manually-engineered visual features. Messina, P., Dominguez, V., Parra, D., Trattner, C. and Soto, A. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal. 2018. PDF
- Predicting Trading Interactions in an Online Marketplace through Location-Based and Online Social Networks. Eberhard, L., Trattner, C. and Atzmueller, M. Information Retrieval Journal, 2018. PDF
- On the Predictability of the Popularity of Online Recipes. Trattner, C., Moesslang, D. and Elsweiler, D. EPJ Data Science, 2018. PDF
- The Impact of Recipe Features, Social Cues and Demographics on Estimating the Healthiness of Online Recipes. Rocicki, M.*, Trattner, C.* and Herder, E. (* equal contribution). In Proceedings of the 12th International AAAI conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM), 2018. PDF
- Food Recommender Systems: Important Contributions, Challenges and Future Research Directions. Trattner, C. and Elsweiler, D. Collaborative Recommendations: Algorithms, Practical Challenges and Applications, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., 2018. PDF