Dr. Christoph Trattner is working as an Associate Professor (permanent position) at the University of Bergen in the Information Science & Media Studies Department. Previously to that he was an Asst. Prof. at MODUL University Vienna in the New Media Technology Department and a manager at the Know-Center, Austria's research competence for data driven business and Big Data analytics where he founded and led the Social Computing department. He holds a PhD (with distinction), an MSc (with distinction) and a BSc in Computer Science and Telematics from Graz University of Technology (Austria). He is a former FFG, Marshall Plan and ERCIM fellow and has been working at Graz University of Technology from 2009-2012 (supervised by Prof. Dr. Denis Helic & Prof. Dr. Hermann Maurer), the University of Pittsburgh from 2011-2012 (hosted by Prof. Dr. Peter Brusilovsky), the Norwegian University of Science and Technology from 2014-2015 (hosted by Prof. Dr. Kjetil Norvag), and has been visiting Yahoo! Labs Barcelona in 2014 and CWI Amsterdam in 2015 (hosted by Prof. Dr. Arjen De Vries). Christoph's research interests include Information Science, Data Science, User Modeling and Recommender Systems. He was involved, either as a project or WP leader, in various national and international EU-funded research projects that dealt with social technologies and recommender systems. Currently, he is leading an international research effort that tries to understand, predict and change online food preferences to tackle health-related food issues such as diabetes or obesity. Since 2010, he published two books and over 90 scientific articles in top venues and journals, e.g., JASIST, UMUAI, TiiS, ComCom, EPJ Data Science, WWW, ICWSM, ACM SIGIR, ACM CIKM, ACM CSCW, ACM RecSys, ACM IUI, ACM HT and ACM UMAP. He is also the winner of several Best Paper/Poster Awards and Nominations, including, e.g., the Best Paper Award Honorable Mention at WWW'17. He regularly acts as a PC member on several top-tier - CORE A* ranked - conferences and co-organizes or co-chairs a number of workshops and conferences. Recent examples include ACM IUI’19, ACM UMAP’19 and ACM RecSys’19. He has also taught a series of courses at all levels (BSc, MSc, MBA, PhD), e.g., Information Systems, Recommender Systems or Web Science at the University of Bergen, Graz University of Technology and MODUL University Vienna and has managed and supervised a number of Post-Docs, PhD fellows, Master and Bachelor students.
- [02/2019] Have been invited as speaker to the Complex networks workshop in Lipari, Italy. Looking very much forward to this great event!
- [01/2019] Our paper "Tag-Based Information Access in Image Collections: Insights from Log and Eye-Gaze Analyses" with Lin, Y., Parra, D. and Brusilovsky, P. has been accepted for publication in Knowledge and Information Systems [IF:2.247].
- [12/2018] Our workshop on Modeling Social Media: Mining, Modeling and Learning from Social Media has been accepted at The Web Conference. Check out the call for papers!
- [11/2018] Our paper "Towards a Big Data Platform for News Angles" with Ocana, M., Opdahl, A., Nyre, L., Tessem, B. and Veres, C. has been accepted for publication in the 4th Norwegian Big Data Symposium (NOBIDS) held at NTNU.
- [11/2018] Our paper "The Roadmap to User-Controllable Social Exploratory Search" with di Sciascio, C., Brusilovsky, P. and Veas, E. has been accepted for publication in ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems.
- [10/2018] Our paper "Investigating and Predicting Online Food Recipe Upload Behavior" with Kusmierczyk, T. and Norvag, K. has been accepted for publication in Information Processing and Management [IF:3.444]. PDF
- [10/2018] Attended RecSys'18 in Vancouver (it was fantastic) and run among other things the Health Recommender Systems Workshop. The proceedings are now online and can be downloaded from CEUR-WS !
- [08/2018] Our paper "Healthy Menus Recommendation: Optimizing the Use of the Pantry" with Emanuel, J., Oliveira, R., Marinho, L. and Trattner, C. has been accepted at the HealthRecSys workshop co-located with ACM RecSys'18.
- [08/2018] Our paper "Towards Explanations for Visual Recommender Systems of Artistic Images" with Dominguez, V., Messina, P., Trattner, C. and Parra, D. has been accepted at the INTRS workshop co-located with ACM RecSys'18.
- [08/2018] Together with Lidija Lalicic from MODUL University Vienna we have won the Austrian Chamber of Commerce (WKO) Prize to conduct research in the context of online food marketing in Facebook. Stay tunded for more updates!
- [07/2018] Our paper "Content-based artwork recommendation: integrating painting metadata with neural and manually-engineered visual features" with Messina, P., Dominguez, V., Parra, D. and Soto, A. has been published in Springer's User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal. PDF
- [07/2018] Our paper "Predicting Trading Interactions in an Online Marketplace through Location-Based and Online Social Networks" with Eberhard, L. and Atzmueller, M. has been published in Springer's Information Retrieval Journal. PDF
- [07/2018] Our paper "On the Predictability of the Popularity of Online Recipes" with Moesslang, D. and Elsweiler, D. has been published in EPJ Data Science. PDF
[06/2018] Our grant proposal Investigating the impact of Artificial Intelligence on the Journalism's Social Contract - Issues of Machine Ethics in Modern Journalism with Marija Slavkovik as PI and Truls Pedersen, Helle Sjøvaag, Sjur Dyrkolbotn and me as co-applicants got accepted by the Norwegian Research council.
- [05/2018] Will be teaching a MSc course on recommender systems this fall at the University of Bergen :) Stay tuned for the teaching material!
- [04/2018] Full paper (16% quota) accepted at ICWSM'18! Title: "The Impact of Recipe Features, Social Cues and Demographics on Estimating the Healthiness of Online Recipes". PDF
- [03/2018] Was invited by the CS department at UiB to the Winter School on Algorithms. Gave an invited lecture on "Recommender Systems" and the research we do on food recommender systems. The venue was Geilo :) Awesome place to do some skiing!
- [03/2018] New book chapter on "Evaluating Group Recommender Systems" in the new Springer book on "Group Recommender Systems: An introduction" is now available. PDF
- [02/2018] There are some exciting news to share :) As of Feb. 2018 I will be joining the Department of Information Science and Media Studies at the University of Bergen as
Associate Professor in Data Science (permanent position).
Latest 10 Publications
- Tag-Based Information Access in Image Collections: Insights from Log and Eye-Gaze Analyses. Lin, Y., Parra, D., Trattner, C. and Brusilovsky, P. Knowledge and Information Systems. 2019.
- The Roadmap to User-Controllable Social Exploratory Search. di Sciascio, C., Brusilovsky, P., Trattner, C. and Veas, E. ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems. 2019.
- Investigating and Predicting Online Food Recipe Upload Behavior. Trattner, C., Kusmierczyk, T., Norvag, K. Information Processing and Management. 2019. PDF
- Content-based artwork recommendation: integrating painting metadata with neural and manually-engineered visual features. Messina, P., Dominguez, V., Parra, D., Trattner, C. and Soto, A. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction Journal. 2018. PDF
- Predicting Trading Interactions in an Online Marketplace through Location-Based and Online Social Networks. Eberhard, L., Trattner, C. and Atzmueller, M. Information Retrieval Journal, 2018. PDF
- On the Predictability of the Popularity of Online Recipes. Trattner, C., Moesslang, D. and Elsweiler, D. EPJ Data Science, 2018. PDF
- The Impact of Recipe Features, Social Cues and Demographics on Estimating the Healthiness of Online Recipes. Rocicki, M.*, Trattner, C.* and Herder, E. (* equal contribution). In Proceedings of the 12th International AAAI conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM), 2018. PDF
- Food Recommender Systems: Important Contributions, Challenges and Future Research Directions. Trattner, C. and Elsweiler, D. Collaborative Recommendations: Algorithms, Practical Challenges and Applications, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., 2018. PDF
- Evaluating Group Recommender Systems. Trattner, C., Said, A., Boratto, L. and Felfernig, A. Group Recommender Systems: An Introduction, Springer, 2018. PDF
- Investigating the utility of the weather context for point of interest recommendations. Trattner, C., Oberegger, A., Marinho, L. and Parra, D. Information Technology & Tourism, 2018. PDF